- Instant Pot Multi Pressure Cooker
- 6 700g skinless chicken thighs
- 2 tablespoons 30g ghee or unsalted butter
- 6 26g garlic cloves, minced
- 1 250g onion, sliced
- 1 tablespoon 15g ginger, minced
- 1 cup 250ml unsalted chicken stock
- 1 ½ cup 370g plain yogurt
- 1 cup 225g tomato paste
- 2 tablespoons 24g garam masala
- 2 tablespoons 24g sugar
- 3 tablespoons 22g paprika
- 1 teaspoon 2g ground turmeric
- 1 ¼ teaspoon 2.5g ground coriander
- 1 ¼ teaspoon 2.5g ground cumin
- 3 tablespoons 45ml regular soy sauce
- ⅓ cup 83ml heavy cream
- ½ - 1 20ml - 35ml lemon juice, fresh squeezed
- Salt for seasoning
- Fresh cilantro for garnish
- Brown Chicken Thighs: Heat up Instant Pot using Sauté function. Wait until it says HOT. Pat dry the skinless chicken thighs, then season one side with some salt. Add 2 tbsp (30g) ghee or unsalted butter. Then, brown 2 sides of the chicken thighs in Instant Pot for 3 minutes per side. Set aside the browned chicken thighs.
- Saute Onions and Spices: Add sliced onions in Instant Pot, and saute for 4 minutes. Add minced ginger, garlic, 2 tbsp (24g) garam masala, 2 tbsp (24g) sugar, 3 tbsp (22g) paprika, 1 tsp (2g) ground turmeric, 1 ¼ tsp (2.5g) ground coriander, and 1 ¼ tsp (2.5g) ground cumin. Then, sauté for another minute.
- Deglaze Instant Pot: Pour in 1 cup (250ml) unsalted chicken stock, then completely deglaze the bottom of the pot. Turn off the heat briefly.
- Pressure Cook Butter Chicken: Add 3 tbsp (45ml) regular soy sauce, browned chicken thighs (and the meat juice), then add freshly squeezed lemon juice from half a lemon (20ml) in Instant Pot. Layer 1 cup (225g) tomato paste on top and do not mix! Remove the lid carefully and give it a few gentle stirs so the tomato paste infuses into the sauce.
- Make Butter Chicken Sauce: Set aside the chicken thighs in a serving bowl. Mix in 1 ½ cup (370g) plain yogurt and ⅓ cup (83ml) heavy cream. For smoother butter chicken sauce, blend sauce with an immersion blender. Taste and adjust the seasoning with more salt, sugar, lemon juice, and yogurt.
- Serve: Add chicken thighs back in Instant Pot, then give them a quick mix. Garnish with cilantro. Serve with any of your favourite side dishes / rice / naan.
Instant Brands Official Recipe Contributor: Recipe by @hungryolivethethyme